The UK Community Radio Network (UKCRN) is set to hold his first face-to-face get together ahead of a sold-out conference in Coventry.
Set-up at the start of the pandemic as an opportunity for OFCOM managers to come together, socialise and support each other through a difficult period, the group has now been registered as a Community Interest Company to further develop, represent, and promote the sector.
To date, the UKCRN has:
- Held bi-monthly meetings for 18 months with station managers and principal decision makers to engage with the sector
- Sent an open letter that was signed by half of all Community Radio stations demanding payment for playing government messages and PSAs which led to ongoing meetings with the government and supported the campaign for additional funding via Ofcom for the Community Radio
- Got #SupportCommunityRadio trending in the top 10 on Twitter (above Joe Wicks) when stations all came together to play “All you need is love” as the UK CRN launched its own music video, featuring volunteers singing along from across the sector
- Held regular meetings with Ofcom and DCMS to discuss the sector, as well as participating in and responding to consultations, engaging directly with the sector on their behalf
- Received funding via its founding member stations NLive Radio from the Ofcom Community Radio Fund to hold face to face events and conferences over the next year for the sector
- Aided 13 stations to apply for improvement or expansion to their FM coverage.
Held at Radio Plus in Coventry, the evening will be a chance for managers, volunteers and members of the wider industry to come together, network and learn about the future work of the UKCRN.
Booking for the event is available via: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/uk-community-radio-network-get-together-launch-tickets-192187767787
Managers and principal decision makers of licensed Community Radio stations can join UKCRN bi-monthly meetings via www.ukcommunity.radio/meeting/